1951 Silver "The Martin Tenor"
Price: $2,599.00 SOLD
- Year: 1951
- Make: Martin
- Model: "The Martin Tenor"
- Status: SOLD/REBUILD PENDING
- Finish: Original Silver Body, Nickel keys
- Serial Number: 178,40x Body & 184k Neck
WWS Name: "Lieutenant Dan"
A rare, original Silver "The Martin Tenor" with the "U.S." military stamp on the bell. The serial #178k on the body dates it to 1951. It is common to see these saxes with signs of wear and use as the band worked hard. It has 80% Silver present and 70% Nickel on the keys(this is not the first US silver Martin that I've seen this plating combo).
WWS Research Note: I had a The Martin Alto "US" that also had nickel plated keys. This recurring find leads me to suspect that the military expected the instruments to have the prim-and-proper look, aka silver & shiny, which would have worn off the keys with the constant use. It is a WWS hypothesis that the military would require silver instruments to be replated using Nickel when possible.
It will be a great sax once it gets a full rebuild, repairs and cleaned up. There are some bumps from the "war" of playing and we will address them during the work. The sax will need me to address a bell-to-body brace dent, inspect tone hole seals, inspect the neck screw replacement, be treated with chemical cleaning to sterilize odors etc, as well as install 2-4 missing screws (that I have).
CASE: It arrived with an original case that did not survive storage (or a war!). It will get a New Protec XL ($$$) to keep it properly protected.
REBUILD: We are planning to offer this sax with a full rebuild and you can help choose those options (pad type, reso type, etc) included in the listing price.
It does not play in it's current condition.
Martin Sound Files for you to enjoy:
- 1.TENORs-4x_Conn Chu New Wonder II #243k, Keilwerth Tone King #37k-Plastic wF#, The Martin Tenor #166k, Conn 10M #H42k, on an early Berg 105 boat tail, Sound File 10-20176:45
- 4.Tenors file: Selmer MKVI vs. Martin Comm 2 vs. Martin Comm 31:37
- 5.TENORx2-MPCx2--VIvsTMT, D7vs4starOtt2:45